On October 20th subscribers received the announcement that the store is holding a “Best of 2017” event. We are posting it here for those who did not read the email or do not have a subscription account.
We thought it might be fun if we hold an annual comic book awards program. The intent of the program is to get readers to review the things they enjoyed most through the year. It also gives us all a chance to expose others to our choices. We all have favorites, we all have treasures, combined they will make a display in the store to recommend these items to others. This will be kept up all year until it is time to do the 2018 voting.
There is a manual form at the counter in both locations which is a write in ballot you can fill out and turn in. This form was emailed to all subscribers on October 20th. You do not have to fill out every category if you do not want to, this is just fun and a social media campaign, so no stress to complete it. We will put entries into a database and make a display in the store of the winners. Only ballots with names on them will be counted. No email entries will be accepted, you have to drop it off so we can verify you are a customer of the two stores. This is to ensure the integrity of our customers having chose the winners.
A few rules…
- An “Individual comic” nominee must have been released in 2017.
- A “Mini-series” nominee must have had more than 50 percent of its issues released in 2017.
- A “Series” must have an issue released in each month of 2017 (we will allow for late shipments by publishers).
- “Best Publisher” nominees should have a reason to justify the choice on the bottom or back of the form. Pro DC or Pro Marvel votes are not what we want. “DC shipped more that 85% of the products on time” is an example of what we would like to see. No reason on the form and the vote simply will not be counted for this category.
- We will end the votes at Christmas so we can add it all up but you can turn them in whenever you want before then. The staff will check for your name and place it in the ballot box.
Mine will be in an envelope with my name on the outside so no one can read them. Oh wait…
My choices are being put on the display right now! Each Saturday I will release a choice for one of the 15 categories, starting now! I will include why it was my choice to help guide some people as to what to criteria can be used to choose.
Best Cover Artist of 2017
Mingjue Helen Chen (a.k.a. Helen Chen)
- Gotham Academy Second Semester #4
- Winnebago Graveyard #1 of 4 Cover B
- Silk #18
I chose this artist because I previously dropped two of the respective titles and the artwork on these covers still made me want to purchase them. The third was a new mini series and I still have to finish the last two issues but the cover art convinced me to try it in the first place. The specifics are simply that the cover in each case showed knowledge of the title, the color choices enhanced the character shown. The background images in both Silk #18 and Second Semester #4 added both emotion and showed artistic talent toward the audience. Each illustration kept with, or further defined, the titles tone and theme.
Keep in mind I purchased each of these issues even though I dropped the ongoing comic, which is actually the covers job. Sadly, the cover artwork did not get the writing support to bring me back to any of the titles. Excellent cover art but the stories just did not get the development needed to get me back into the monthly reads.
Next Saturday I will release my nominee for best… well, I guess I should wait until the comic discussion group next Saturday. See you then!